Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Interview: How to organize 250 employees Waltahid collective remake of "Sailor Moon"

A scene from

A scene from "Moon Animation" by Megan Jo Nairn.

! Since its launch last month, the episode of the fan-Sailor Moon, moon animation titled Make-up, collecting more than 1.2 million pages:

This project is an example of crowdsourcing platform ambitious. Organized and without the participation of the studio completely produced by individuals or companies. Between October 2013 and July 2014 was more than 250 executives from at least plan to mount a strike shot remake of the Friends episode "difficult" set of vintage Japanese. Cartoon Brew interviews with the entrepreneur, Kate Sullivan 0.2012 studies at the School of Visual Arts, and learn more about how to implement the project.

Cartoon Brew: Moon Animation makeup seems between nostalgia and a labor of love. What motivates you to create the project?

Kate Sullivan.

Kate Sullivan.

KATE Sullivan: Last year I visited Bartkira project as an artist, and while I had a great time working on it, I really wanted to run the collective work of this kind. I'm studying art strangely knows almost every university I wanted to work on the side of animation production. Sailor Moon has seen a rise in popularity in recent years, and start the animated series was in this summer [Sailor Moon Crystal] come. Move the idea that the moon probably end up in the first time in this series. It seemed the perfect time to show my love for the work and production Sailor Moon.

Moon animation make-up!

A scene from "Moon Animated Make-up!" By Mike Daly .

Cartoon Brew: If every shot, and she had complete freedom in any way they want to create a race?

KATE Sullivan: Because they in the average aspect ratio and frame, and make it before the deadline, which one, if you are very flexible kept in contact with me, everyone was free, a total creation. This is your chance to show what you want to do, and a lot of people pushed to the extent possible. I was completely blown away how he came up with their creative shots.

Cartoon Brew: Is there a ball that really as exceeding expectations?

KATE Sullivan: I think that any plan or where pushed animation style, a bit different. I feel like a parent. I can not choose just one favorite! Mainly because all were very professional and are willing to work hard and what they can to do. The presenters who have identified additional recordings of all kinds of wonderful. I honestly only by all who took the time in the system, amazed to create something for this. I have a special shout-out for Nyann Smith, all visual effects created for the scene transitions, because I do not have the slightest idea how to do it, and save you my butt.

Cartoon Brew: How the recordings were assigned in the animation, and this type of schedule they were given a shot to produce them?

KATE Sullivan Award footage first come first served. Was everyone who signed the coil, and the shots were distributed according to the coil and personal needs of the artist, for example, if they. Time for anything but a short shot or a favorite with more animation Were all months and a half to make in their work. Some people need a little more time, and some of them got in early and even asked for a few seconds or thirds.

Max Litvinov

A scene from "Moon Animated Make-up!" From Max Litvinov

Cartoon Brew: Did you talk about your thoughts on the process of the project, crowdsourcing, both positive and negative?

KATE Sullivan: When I started, Moon Animation makeup, really had anything to word of mouth from Sailor Moon will encourage spread through social media makes me really happy, and we are now in an era where we are in close contact with people all over the world to cooperate so!, this project. I do not think it could have been ten or fifteen years there, because, as it was a lot of technology have only internally.

Cartoon Brew: How has the audience?

KATE Sullivan: I have the answer on the moon animation is very positive and I'm still shocked that it went well. It was difficult to estimate how the public reacts when you work every waking hour between work and sleep until you released into the wild. The next thing you know, my friends tell me a SMS that I. In the Los Angeles Times and Entertainment Weekly Move the moon I wanted to be for people who have not seen Sailor Moon. I'm so happy when I meet people who have not heard about the project, but, but tell me, have they not seen Sailor Moon, and they really enjoyed it.

CARTOON BREW: the only examples I animation projects, crowdsourcing seen and is beloved substances. Having to create this process, and the work the original content in the same tone in the same way as a possibility?

KATE Sullivan: I think that the creation of original content through crowdsourcing is not only possible, but I think that is where the future of the animation go. With all the developments in the way we create and communicate through technology, and we are at a point where we can do more than our homes. The big problem is the financing, but in the end it is easier to give your money directly to the artists who want to support you, and the public a greater autonomy in which they want to invest their money. Kickstarter and Indiegogo are great, but I'm curious to see what we can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment