Saturday, August 23, 2014

CBTV student festival "Grandma", the Karolien Raeymaekers

Student Animation Festival of Cartoon Brew is proud to offer Oma (OMA) of Karolien Raeymaekers. Produced at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts (KASK) in Ghent, Belgium, Granny explores the relationship between the girl and her grandmother death of his patient.

The film avoids stereotypes simplistic emotional, often with films about death, rather than the use of effective visual metaphor to show the fear and confusion of the main character in this event is not in a position that the entire process. Raeymaker able to control the pace of the film by his choice of directing and design, alternating between the quiet beauty of the landscape and the excitement of a deranged mind.

Reading on the director Karolien Raeymaekers comment further:

karolienraeymaekers

IDEA

A few years ago, my grandmother I lost to cancer. We were very close, but because of my studies, I do not see often. I knew she was sick, but I only heard she was dying, it was too late. As in the hospital and I was already in a deep coma. I was told that I still have a chance to say goodbye, to tell her, and she can still hear me, but I just can not. What is put in front of me were not my grandma. For me it was a terrible sight. After that, I was very confused. Over and over again began to disturb his death nightmares. In these dreams, there were all kinds of places surreal, like the wings of theaters, Underwater World, and a field of flowers. I thought that these dreams and these places are a good starting point for a short period while avoiding to be a biography, too, and something I do not want at this time was.

Tools and processes

I use the Cintiq and move the Pro Toon Boom Animation, because I like the look of it vector. It gave me more freedom in the composition, the look that you want. With their black shapes animate relatively quickly, but is essentially a decision graph. Creates a connection between these two characters. All have money with traditional media such as acrylic and pencil, and then edited in Photoshop. With the help of some friends, I have also used the 3D reference point.

Challenges and Experiences

It was very difficult, a story that was very personal to tell. Like I said, I originally did not want anything too biography had to be done. But how do I find the slow stage of history step, I realized that the final draft was in fact the essence of what happened to me. I think even I can not answer to the first question is clear, if I did not go trough the whole process. It has helped me to structure my thoughts and me to accept the situation and death.

I was afraid that this story would be cheesy and cliche, and it's my grandmother as a monster is from the injustice of someone missing me so damn good. But my friends and my teachers really encouraged them to explore after the battle, and I'm happy they did. However, I kept with the fear that the story a year or more experience for the audience, and very difficult to easy for everyone. It was about the right balance between the original and understandable. My teachers, especially my friend (who is also the manager) helped me a lot in him. As the first screening of one of my friends, they did not say so, because Bambi felt, I feel very honored, haha!

In terms of pure film, I learned how hard it is to be a director, and at the same time managing all these tasks. She says that some directors films grow naturally, but this was the case for me. I struggled with the development of many of the pieces in the right place. This was especially difficult when you are working on things that you are less familiar with. Like to communicate with my music composers. We had a real discussion, but I think that it is necessary to achieve a good result.

Inspirations

Not mentioned: I love nature. Now the corny and cheesy, seem right? But this is something I really shared my grandmother and together. It's one thing to happen again in all my films, nature and animals. If it were not for the animation, and I want to follow him for a job in the BBC nature Sir David Attenburough!

Where do you see within five years

After filming for me, I would really work with others on interesting projects. This could be short-lived, functions, or anything in between. I love drawing, as long as I can continue to do so, I'll be happy. Animation-wise, there are many good things in Belgium and Europe at the moment, so I'm looking forward to it!

Wheatley Director

Site Manager: KarolienRaeymaekers.com

Monitors Cartoon Brew Student Animation Festival through the generous support of our sponsors possible to provide JibJab , a company that has been shown to consistently support to young talents and commitment. We would also like to express my thanks to our main sponsor of the award, and Microsoft express.

No comments:

Post a Comment